Can i get homeowners insurance if the house is not in my name

AffiliatePal is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.



When it comes to homeowners insurance, it is natural to wonder if you can get coverage for a house that is not in your name. Whether you are considering insuring a property owned by a family member, a friend, or a business entity, there are certain factors to consider. In this article, we will explore the possibilities and limitations of obtaining homeowners insurance for a house that is not in your name.

Ownership and Insurable Interest

Understanding Ownership and Insurable Interest: Homeowners insurance typically requires the policyholder to have an insurable interest in the property. Insurable interest means that you would suffer a financial loss if something were to happen to the property. Generally, insurable interest is based on ownership or legal responsibility for the property.

Named Insured and Additional Insured: Homeowners insurance policies typically have a named insured, who is the primary policyholder and the owner of the property. However, some insurance companies allow additional insured parties to be added to the policy. Additional insured parties may include family members, tenants, or others with a legal interest in the property.

Insuring a House Not in Your Name

Family-Owned Property: If you are part of a family and want to insure a house owned by a family member, it may be possible to obtain homeowners insurance. Some insurance companies allow family members to insure properties owned by other family members. However, it is important to note that each insurance company has its own guidelines and restrictions, so it is advisable to check with different insurers to find one that accommodates your specific situation.

Trusts and Legal Entities: In some cases, a property may be held in a trust or owned by a legal entity such as a corporation or partnership. In these situations, it may be possible to obtain homeowners insurance for the property, but the policy would need to be in the name of the trust or legal entity. It is important to consult with an insurance professional who specializes in these types of policies to ensure proper coverage.

Rental Properties: If you are renting a property that is not in your name, you will typically need to obtain renters insurance rather than homeowners insurance. Renters insurance provides coverage for your personal belongings and liability, but it does not cover the structure of the property itself, as that is the responsibility of the property owner.

Considerations and Limitations

Consent and Cooperation: In order to obtain homeowners insurance for a property not in your name, you will likely need the consent and cooperation of the property owner. The owner may need to provide certain information or documentation to the insurance company, such as proof of ownership or details about the property’s condition.

Policy Limitations: Insurance companies may impose certain limitations when insuring a property not in your name. These limitations could include lower coverage limits, higher deductibles, or additional requirements for maintaining the policy. It is important to review the policy terms and conditions carefully to understand any limitations that may apply.


While it is possible to obtain homeowners insurance for a house that is not in your name, there are certain considerations and limitations to be aware of. Insurable interest, consent from the property owner, and policy limitations are important factors to consider when exploring insurance options. Consulting with insurance professionals and comparing policies from different insurers can help you find the best coverage for your specific situation.


– Insurance Information Institute:
– National Association of Insurance Commissioners:
– Investopedia: