Does homeowners insurance cover burst pipes

AffiliatePal is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.



Homeowners insurance is a crucial aspect of protecting your property and belongings from unexpected events. Burst pipes can cause significant damage to a home, leading many homeowners to wonder if their insurance policy covers such incidents. In this article, we will explore the topic of whether homeowners insurance covers burst pipes and provide a comprehensive understanding of the coverage.

Understanding Homeowners Insurance

Before delving into the specifics of burst pipes, it is essential to have a basic understanding of homeowners insurance. Homeowners insurance is a type of property insurance that provides financial protection to homeowners in the event of damage or loss to their property. It typically covers a range of perils, including fire, theft, vandalism, and certain natural disasters.

Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Burst Pipes?

Water Damage Coverage: Homeowners insurance policies generally provide coverage for water damage caused by sudden and accidental incidents, such as burst pipes. This coverage typically includes the cost of repairs to the affected areas, as well as any necessary restoration or replacement of damaged property.

Causes of Burst Pipes: Burst pipes can occur due to various reasons, such as freezing temperatures, aging pipes, or excessive water pressure. Homeowners insurance typically covers burst pipes resulting from sudden and unforeseen events. However, if the burst pipes are a result of negligence or lack of maintenance, the insurance company may deny the claim.

Secondary Damage Coverage: In addition to covering the cost of repairing the burst pipes themselves, homeowners insurance often includes coverage for secondary damage caused by the water. This can include damage to walls, floors, furniture, and personal belongings. It is important to review your policy to understand the extent of this coverage.

Exceptions and Limitations: While homeowners insurance generally covers burst pipes, there may be exceptions and limitations to consider. Some policies may have specific exclusions for certain types of pipes, such as those made of polybutylene or galvanized steel. Additionally, there may be limitations on coverage for water damage if the property has been unoccupied for an extended period.

Filing a Claim for Burst Pipes

If you experience a burst pipe and need to file a claim with your homeowners insurance, there are a few steps you should follow:

1. Document the Damage: Take photographs or videos of the damage caused by the burst pipe. This documentation will be helpful when filing your claim and can serve as evidence for the insurance company.

2. Contact Your Insurance Company: Notify your insurance company as soon as possible after the incident. They will guide you through the claims process and provide you with the necessary forms and information.

3. Mitigate Further Damage: Take immediate action to prevent further damage to your property. This may include shutting off the water supply, drying out affected areas, and arranging for temporary repairs if necessary. Keep all receipts and records of expenses related to these mitigation efforts.

4. Provide Necessary Documentation: Fill out the claim forms provided by your insurance company and provide any requested documentation, such as repair estimates, invoices, and proof of ownership for damaged belongings.


In conclusion, homeowners insurance typically covers burst pipes and the resulting water damage. However, it is important to review your policy carefully to understand any exceptions, limitations, or exclusions that may apply. If you experience a burst pipe, promptly document the damage, contact your insurance company, mitigate further damage, and provide all necessary documentation when filing a claim. By understanding your coverage and following the proper procedures, you can ensure a smoother claims process and receive the financial assistance you need to repair the damage.