What is a 75/25 mortgage?

AffiliatePal is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.



A 75/25 mortgage is a type of loan that allows borrowers to finance 75% of the home’s purchase price with a first mortgage and 25% with a second mortgage. This arrangement can be beneficial for homebuyers who may not have enough money for a large down payment or who want to avoid paying private mortgage insurance (PMI). In this article, we will dive deeper into the details of a 75/25 mortgage, exploring its advantages, disadvantages, and eligibility requirements.

How Does a 75/25 Mortgage Work?

A 75/25 mortgage is structured as two separate loans. The first mortgage covers 75% of the home’s purchase price, while the second mortgage covers the remaining 25%. The first mortgage is typically a conventional loan, meaning it is not insured or guaranteed by the government. The second mortgage can be a home equity loan or a home equity line of credit (HELOC).

The first mortgage is considered the primary loan and has priority over the second mortgage in the event of default or foreclosure. This means that if the borrower defaults on the loan, the lender of the first mortgage has the first claim on the property’s proceeds.

Advantages of a 75/25 Mortgage

Lower down payment: One of the main advantages of a 75/25 mortgage is that it allows borrowers to purchase a home with a smaller down payment. Instead of having to come up with the traditional 20% down payment, borrowers only need to provide 25% of the home’s purchase price.

Avoiding PMI: Private mortgage insurance (PMI) is typically required for conventional loans when the down payment is less than 20% of the home’s purchase price. However, with a 75/25 mortgage, borrowers can avoid PMI altogether since the first mortgage covers 75% of the home’s value.

Tax advantages: In some cases, the interest paid on both the first and second mortgages may be tax-deductible. However, it is important to consult with a tax professional to understand the specific tax implications based on individual circumstances.

Disadvantages of a 75/25 Mortgage

Higher interest rates: Second mortgages generally come with higher interest rates compared to first mortgages. This means that borrowers may end up paying more in interest over the life of the loan.

Risk of foreclosure: Since the second mortgage is subordinate to the first mortgage, the lender of the second mortgage may have a harder time recovering their investment in the event of foreclosure. This increased risk may result in higher interest rates and stricter eligibility requirements for the second mortgage.

Eligibility Requirements

To qualify for a 75/25 mortgage, borrowers typically need to meet certain eligibility requirements, including:

Credit score: Lenders will consider the borrower’s credit score to determine their creditworthiness. A higher credit score generally improves the chances of qualifying for a 75/25 mortgage.

Debt-to-income ratio: Lenders will also assess the borrower’s debt-to-income ratio, which compares their monthly debt payments to their gross monthly income. A lower debt-to-income ratio indicates a lower risk for the lender.

Income stability: Lenders prefer borrowers who have a stable source of income. This provides assurance that the borrower will be able to make their monthly mortgage payments.

It is important to note that eligibility requirements may vary depending on the lender and the specific terms of the mortgage.


A 75/25 mortgage can be an attractive option for homebuyers who want to purchase a home with a smaller down payment and avoid paying private mortgage insurance. However, it is essential to carefully consider the advantages and disadvantages of this type of mortgage, as well as meet the eligibility requirements set by lenders. Consulting with a mortgage professional can help individuals determine if a 75/25 mortgage is the right choice for their specific financial situation.


– Investopedia: www.investopedia.com
– The Balance: www.thebalance.com
– Bankrate: www.bankrate.com